Sunday, July 13, 2014

My Identity

Why did no one warn me that life right after college would be some of the most awkward times of my life? Do you ever feel like you don't fit in? I'll be honest, at times it feels like I've lost my identity. For four years I was a high schooler. That is what was expected of me, to go through high school and be a student. That was my purpose, my goal, my life.Then for four years I was a college student. That is what was expected of me, to go to college and be a student. So I did, that was my purpose, my goal, my life, my identity. I let it become me. While you always know that these two different stages would not last forever, it doesn't really hit you until you are out. I have no purpose, I have no life, and I have no identity.

 Now I don't mean I truly have no purpose now that I'm free (hallelujah), but I say no purpose for the sake of not having a plan, not knowing what is ahead. I feel like I was shot out of a cannon into a world that I'm not ready for. My friend group all of a sudden doesn't work anymore, we're all growing up and going different directions in life. I'm no longer treated like a child (most of the time) and I'm expected to be spending time with adults. (Talking about super boring things, am I right?) I'm expected to be an adult, yet I don't feel like I am because I haven't started my big girl job. So I'm stuck in a weird stage where I have lost my identity.

I'm constantly drawn back to my identity in Christ. Truthfully, it is the only thing that is keeping me from losing my mind right now.

When we place our identity in Christ, there are so many wonderful promises that we can be reminded of:

We are a new creation (2nd Corinthians 5:17)
We will NEVER be separated from His love (Romans 8:39)
Christ has forgiven our sins (Ephesians 1:7)
We can approach Christ with CONFIDENCE. (Ephesians 3:12)
And my favorite one, Christ holds all things together. (Colossians 1:17)

So while I'm making my way through this new journey called adulthood, it doesn't have to be alone. While I'm constantly trying to find my identity, I can rest assured that I can always place my identity in Christ
I encourage you to do the same.

One of my favorite quotes is by a Pastor Mark Driscoll, and I'll end with this...

“You aren’t what’s been done to you but what Jesus has done for you. You aren’t what you do but what Jesus has done. What you do doesn’t determine who you are. Rather, who you are in Christ determines what you do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment